Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Recipes to go with Feb Menu #1

Vegetable Soup:

You can use any type of meat you would like.. Turkey, cubed beef, or chicken...

Personally we like beef & turkey.. If I use beef I buy stew meat & cut it up into smaller chunks & pan cook it with spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and pepper.

Start with beef or chicken broth (typically I use 1 can), 1 throw in a can of diced tomatoes (or you can cut up fresh tomatoes), I am a tomato eater so I also add some tomato juice..  Add diced potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, green beans, corn, whatever veggies you like.. Personally I am not a big celery eater so I skip that.. I also use frozen veggies rather than canned.. and I season with a little creole seasoning.. You can put this in the crockpot to simmer or cook on the stove for 20-30 minutes until all veggies are tender :-)

You can cook a pan of cornbread to go with this as well :-)

Shake N Bake Porkchops & Veggies:
Butterfly porkchops that are boneless
Shake N Bake for pork

Just shake your pork chops up in the shake n bake bag & follow the box instructions.. I also season with garlic powder, paprika, and onion powder once I coat with the shake n bake...

Our Veggie of choice will be Garlic Green Beans & baked okra:
Green beans: Buy fresh green beans, cut the ends off, put on a baking sheet with a little minced garlic, drizzle a little olive oil over it, a splash of lemon juice (optional) and sea salt.. Bake until tender

Same ooes for the okar except skip the lemon juice.. When okra isn't in season (like now) I use frozen bags :-)

Crockpot Chicken Tacos
I use bags of frozen chicken breast & usually use about 3 breast for this recipe.. Throw them in the crockpot.. Mix up taco seasoning with some water.. Cook on low all day.. I then shred the chicken... Serve however you would eat your tacos.. I use whole wheat 60 calorie (skip the sandwich) tortillas, diced tomatoe, lettuce, fat free sour cream, fat free cheese

Sausage, Corn, Potato, Shrimp Kabobs:

I buy the turkey sausage (the is shaped like a horseshoe) cut it up into cubes.. Boil corn & potatoes until they are fairly tender but not cooked all the way through (You can even boil in a cajun boil) put on kabob sticks with the sausage & shrimp.. season however you want & throw them on a grill for about 10 minutes. YUM!!!

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie:
2 (9 inch) deep dish frozen pie crust (thawed)
1 can mixed veggies (or you can use frozen)
2 cups cooked diced chicken breast  (Rotesserie chicken is really good for this)
1 can fat free cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk (I use 2% or 1% whatever I have at the time)

Preheat oven to 350.. In a bowl combine mixed veggies, chicken, cream of chicken soup, and milk. Pour mixture into 1 of the pie crust. Turn the other crust over & pop out of the tin onto the top of the filled pie crust. Seal the edges & poke holes in top crust. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until crust is golden brown.  I also season it with garlic powder or salt, onion powder, paprika, etc.. so it isn't bland (Are you seeing a trend with my spices yet? lol)


Hope you enjoy some of these recipes!




No comments:

Post a Comment